Product Design, Research & Development
Main Purpose of Role
To lead our clients’ Engineering Research and New Product Development activities and provide technical guidance to other staff as required.
- To be the technical leader of the Division
- To guide and mentor members of the product & design teams and other technical staff – especially when out-of-the-ordinary engineering/technical issues arise
- To have or to develop a thorough understanding of the technical standards applicable to product line / industry and have the ability to interpret and succinctly communicate those requirements.
- Work with external test and approval organisations.
- To assist with answering more complex technical questions from customers
- Become the divisional champion of new product technology & development which may benefit our business; engaging with suppliers, academia, and other external sources to keep abreast of latest developments
- To lead R&D and NPD projects which are pre-project-approval and oversee ongoing product change control for product already in production
- Provide workable, technical solutions to engineering concerns as they arise.
- Lead and mentor a small team of engineering designers to develop new in-house core technology products for the business to sell, from concept stage to production release & handover.
- Manage outside agencies to develop other new products for the business to sell, from concept stage to production release & handover.
- With assistance from others, e.g., purchasing, finance and manufacturing, construct business cases for new product approval.
- Be a member of the leadership team, contributing to the team’s overall success by supporting and challenging fellow managers as appropriate.
- Along with the Purchasing Manager(s), champion cost-reduction teams to deliver savings.
- Lead the design and development of products which reduce environmental impact in their manufacture, transport or use
- Where necessary, liaise with the external sales teams on NPD ideas generated from the field/external customer base.
- To keep abreast of our clients’ competitors’ products and look to bridge gaps in the company’s product offer that will complement the overall Water Management proposition.
- NPD Engineers/Designers
Key Internal Contacts
- MD; Product Manager(s); Product/Brand Team Leaders; External sales teams
- Operations; Purchasing / Supply Chain / Finance
- Quality / Health & Safety
Key Requirements for Role
- Must have a very strong engineering background – developed in the Design & Manufacturing sector with qualifications and ability to demonstrated knowledge & experience, including design for manufacture.
- Knowledge of first principles of engineering through to state-of-the-art CNC manufacturing techniques.
- Have a working understanding of structural principles across a range of material. Including material knowledge and testing.
- Ability and desire to assimilate deep product knowledge very quickly.
- A customer-focussed outlook and a determination to exceed customers’ expectations.
- Be collaborative; whilst being an ‘advocate of engineering’ be determined to work closely with other teams, especially sales and our product teams, to find profitable solutions.
- Good verbal and written communication skills – with the ability to precis complicated information for non-technical staff
- A team player with a positive outlook
- Be tenacious as the custodian of the company’s reputation for technical excellence, ensuring product performance and quality by design gives us a competitive advantage; but also be aware of commercial pressures and strive to find affordable solutions, working as a cohesive team with other leaders with occasionally opposing views.
- Ability to act as a mentor for others – a good listener who is willing to develop people to achieve their best.
Health & Safety
- Every employee is responsible for their own safety and for the safety of others and has a duty to respect and implement the H&S Policy and the procedures for the activities that are applicable to their area of responsibility, regardless of the location of work.
- Every employee is also responsible for attempting to minimise their impact on the environment and preventing pollution by respecting and implementing the Environmental policy and procedures for the activities that are applicable to their area of responsibility, regardless of the location of work.
- You will actively participate in the Near Miss reporting program and other continuous improvement projects as dictated by the business.
- It is essential to have experience of engineering design and development and of working in a technical role in a manufacturing business which makes products similar to those manufactured by, and/or deep experience in manufacturing processes such as those used by, including casting, machining (CAD/CAM), bending, painting, welding, and general assembly.
- Knowledge of Surface / Rain Water Management products; or other similar products from alternate sector would be useful.
- This role will be located at Halstead, Essex. Occasional homeworking is possible.
To apply please submit a current CV, along with details of your current earnings to:
Connecting Talent and Vacancies – That’s what Jigsaw Business Group does best!