Main Purpose of Role
To lead our clients’ Engineering Research and New Product Development activities and provide technical guidance to other staff as required.
- To be the technical leader of the Division
- To guide and mentor members of our product teams, design teams and other technical staff – especially when out-of-the-ordinary engineering/technical issues arise
- To have or to develop a thorough understanding of the technical standards applicable to products and have the ability to interpret and succinctly communicate those requirements
- To assist with answering more complex technical questions from customers
- Become the divisional champion of new product technology which may benefit our business; engaging with suppliers, academia, and other external sources to keep abreast of latest developments
- To lead R&D projects which are pre-project-approval and occasionally those signed-off for production
- Provide workable, technical solutions to engineering concerns as they arise
- Lead and mentor a small team of engineering designers to develop new products for the business to sell, from concept stage to production handover
- Manage outside agencies to develop new products for the business to sell, from concept stage to production handover
- With assistance from others, e.g., purchasing, finance and manufacturing, construct business cases for new product approval
- Be a member of the leadership team, contributing to the team’s overall success by supporting and challenging fellow managers as appropriate
- Be tenacious and tough when ‘representing’ our technical excellence, ensuring product performance and quality gives us a competitive advantage; but also be aware of commercial pressures and strive to find affordable solutions, working as a cohesive team with other leaders with occasionally opposing views.
- Along with the Purchasing Manager(s), lead a cost-reduction team to deliver savings
- To lead the development of products which reduce environmental impact in their manufacture, transport or use
- Where necessary, liaise with the external sales teams on NPD ideas generated from the field/external customer base.
- To keep abreast of our clients’ competitors’ products and look to bridge gaps in the AWMS product offer that will complement the overall Water Management proposition.
- NPD Engineers/Designers
Key Internal Contacts
- MD; Product Manager(s); Product/Brand Team Leaders; External sales teams
- Operations; Purchasing / Supply Chain / Finance
Key Requirements for Role
- A good knowledge our client’s products; or a good knowledge of similar products from competitor or another sector, with the ability and desire to assimilate deep product knowledge very quickly
- A very strong engineering background – developed in a manufacturing sector and demonstrated by qualifications, experience, or both
- A customer-focussed outlook and a determination to exceed customers’ expectations
- Be collaborative; whilst being an ‘advocate of engineering’ be determined to work closely with other teams, especially sales and our product teams, to find profitable solutions
- Great verbal and written communication skills – with the ability to precis complicated information for non-technical staff
- A team player with a positive outlook
- Ability to act as a mentor for others – a good listener who is willing to develop people to achieve their best.
Health & Safety
- Every employee is responsible for their own safety and for the safety of others and has a duty to respect and implement the H&S Policy and the procedures for the activities that are applicable to their area of responsibility, regardless of the location of work.
- Every employee is also responsible for attempting to minimise their impact on the environment and preventing pollution by respecting and implementing the Environmental policy and procedures for the activities that are applicable to their area of responsibility, regardless of the location of work.
- You will actively participate in the Near Miss reporting program and other continuous improvement projects as dictated by the business.
- It is essential to have experience of engineering design and development and of working in a technical role in a manufacturing business which makes products similar to those manufactured by, and/or deep experience in manufacturing processes such as those used by, including casting, bending, painting, welding, and general assembly.
- This role will be located at Halstead Frequent travel between the two sites will be necessary. Occasional homeworking is possible.